HELB loans Kenya (in full, Higher Education Loans Board) is an organisation that provides helb loans, bursaries and scholarships for training at public institutes, which are recognised by the Ministry of Education of Kenya. Thanks to HELB loans, all Kenyan citizens can empower their dreams by getting an academic degree and embarking on a successful career. Do you want to understand everything concerning HELB registration at HELB student portal in Kenya, HELB loan applications, status, paybill and much more? Then you are in the right place. We have collected all information for first-time applicants, postgraduate scholars, and HELB applicants in Kenya.
buy dissertation proposal watch research paper helper https://www.cochise.edu/academic/help-my-english-essay/32/ doing homework on the job how write a book http://mce.csail.mit.edu/institute/mfa-in-creative-writing-rankings-us-news/21/ codex angelicus resume https://creativephl.org/pills/sex-tablet-name-for-men/33/ https://scfcs.scf.edu/review/help-writing-my-college-essay/22/ popular content ghostwriting site for university customer always right essay follow site https://healthimperatives.org/rxstore/cialis-blaack/71/ resume and j2ee and seam buy paper towel dispenser definition essay editor for hire gb http://technology.swbts.edu/faculty/essay-topic-website/18/ https://pharmacy.chsu.edu/pages/analysis-case-studies/45/ topics to write a research paper see url formal essay example source url viagra express follow site essay on olympics 2016 https://www.go-gba.org/18669-critique-essay-outline/ is my essay good go to link where can i buy a college essay can t write my essay HELB NEWS UPDATES and HELB DEADLINES!
- HELB fine waiver ended on 30th June 2019.
- First-time undergraduate HELB loans applications are currently open! Apply via official link www.helb.co.ke
- 2018/2019 for undergraduate subsequent online loan application deadline was on 30th June 2018. Apply via official link www.helb.co.ke
- Oshwal scholarship applications are currently closed. The deadline was on the 31st May 2020
- First and subsequent TVET loan request deadline was on 31st October 2020
- First Time of the Afya Elimu Fund application deadline was on 31st October 2020
Find out more about this on HELB official Facebook page:
How do HELB loans work?
The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) gives financial support to applicants who are going to take their postgraduate or undergraduate education. The aid is disbursed in the sort of loans, bursaries or scholarships and must be repaid to HELB immediately after the conclusion of one’s studies or at any other time which is stipulated in the HELB terms for a particular product (i.e. loan type). The principal purpose of helb students loans is to help needy students whose parents cannot support an expensive education. The HELB loans Kenya are not designated for wealthy families and for students with no financial difficulties.
HELB eligibility – who can apply?
HELB loans are accessible to all Kenyan citizens who can sustain the loan immediately following its disbursement.
HELB products – HELB loans, HELB bursaries and the HELB scholarships
The Higher Education Loans Board gives the following services and products to Kenyan citizens:
a) HELB loan
i. Diploma students loans (Technical, Vocational, Education and Training)
Can be obtained by people who pursue diploma courses in Institutes recognised by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology and are enrolled with KUCCPS.
ii. Undergraduate Students loans for:
- Direct Entry Students (DES) – high school leavers who are planning to enter all sorts of universities inside the states of East Africa either through the Kenya University Placement Board Services or as self-sponsored students. The loan interest rate is four %p.a. Loans are available from Ksh 37,000 to Ksh 60,000.00 per year. Loan repayment is needed after completion of undergraduate education. HELB first time applicant needs to apply directly through the helb student portal
- Continuing Education Students – employed students who want to improve their academic qualifications by obtaining a degree. Loan interest is 12%p.a. Loans are accessible from Ksh. 50,000 to Ksh 100,000. The loans processing fee is Ksh 2,000. Loan repayment is required immediately following disbursement (remitted to the educational institution as tuition fees). HELB application form for all continuing students is accessible online on the helb co ke official website.
- Postgraduate Students – scholars on Masters or PhD programmes who would like to finance their studies. Maximum loan sum is Ksh 200,000.00 per year. The loans processing fee is Ksh 2,000. Loan interest is 12% p.a.
All www.helb.co.ke application forms postgraduate and undergraduate must be filled and downloaded on the helb loan official website!
b) HELB bursary
i. Undergraduate scholarships are granted to undergraduate students who require financial support to study in the government-sponsored programs.
ii. Technical, Vocational, Education and Training (TVET)Bursaries are awarded to undergraduate students who need financial support who pursue Diploma courses in TVET recognised Institutes.
c) HELB scholarships
HELB grants partial scholarships 2018 to Masters and PhD applicants basing on their academic merit. The loans processing fee is Ksh 3,000 which is paid upon the submission of the form. HELB application form for HELB scholarships can be obtained at www.helb portal
HELB partnership plans – TRF, Afya Elimu loans, HELB universities partnership, Visa Oshwal Scholarship
- Training Revolving Fund (TRF) – a collaboration between HELB and the Kenyan Ministry of Devolution an Planning. Loans (minimum of Ksh 30,000.00 or a maximum of Ksh. 500,000.00) are available for Civil Servants who want to improve their academic qualifications by taking Masters or PhD programmes or short technical and professional courses. Loan interest is 4%.
- Afya Elimu Fund – the partnership between HELB and USAID funded HRH. Afya Elimu loan is awarded to medical students taking Diploma or Certificate courses at the approved educational establishments such as the Kenya Medical Training College(KMTC). Afya Elimu loan application form is accessible at HELB student portal.
- HELB Universities Partnership – Financial assistance for needy but talented students who want to take scholarly programmes on a self-sponsored basis. HELB awards the maximum sum to such students, and the university takes care of the balance through the financial aid office.
- Visa Oshwal Scholarship is granted to 20 direct entry university students every year. The scholarship incorporates all tuition fees for undergraduate degree programmes. The maximum scholarship amount is Ksh.100,000 on an annual basis.
HELB online portal guide – helb registration, helb application forms, helb application process
Step 1. HELB registration
In sequence to apply for a helb loan in Kenya, it is essential to register at the helb portal first. Follow these straightforward steps for successful helb account creation:
- Open a web browser (Mozilla Firefox, Opera Chrome, etc.)
- Visit the official helb loan portal www.helb.co.ke (don’t mix it with www.helb.com)
- Pick a product and click on it. You will be redirected to the helb student portal.
- Select on “Register” and then type in the necessary information (First Name, ID Number, Valid Email Address, Middle Name, Last Name, Password) Click on “Sign Up” and get an activation link to your email address
- Reach your email address and click on the HELB portal activation link.
- After being redirected to the HELB page, log in to your account.
- Fill in your peculiar and residence details and click “Save.”
- You are now ready to apply for the HELB loan, a HELB bursary or HELB scholarship
Step 2. Know the HELB loan application requirements
HELB applicants need to have the following listed documents and information in order to apply for a HELB loan:
- National Identification Card copy. HELB staff will use your ID to identify as an applicant. It is also required when creating a new helb account at the helb portal.
- Original bank account. HELB will credit your helb bank account before the start of each semester. HELB applicants are encouraged to provide helb bank details of one of the the following banks: Cooperative Bank of Kenya, Kenya Post Office Savings Bank (Postbank), National Bank of Kenya, Kenya Commercial Bank, Equity Bank.
- Kenya Revenue Authority pin. Used by HELB committee to track its borrowers.
- Your Parent (s)/ guardian particulars: name, employee details, current pay slip marital status, level of education, the source of income, and employee No. (if employed).
- The Parents Death certificate(for orphans).
- Letter of admission to the educational institution (or a copy of it).
- Copies of two guarantors’ Identification Cards
- Three coloured passport size photographs
Step 3. HELB loan application forms and HELB application process
Once, you have finished your HELB registration (refer to step 1), click on the helb portal log in button. You will then be redirected to the main page of the official website, where you will be able to select the needed HELB application. From There you will find various application forms for different helb products:
HELB application forms for non-salaried applicants
- Undergraduate First Time Applicants
- Undergraduate Second and Subsequent
- Undergrad Loan Review/Appeals
- Constituency Loan Application Forms Embu
- Constituency Loan Application Forms Tinderet
- Constituency Loan Application Forms Naivasha
- Constituency Loan Application Forms Igembe
- Constituency Loan Application Forms Karachuonyo
- Constituency Loan Application Forms Awendo
- TVET for Tertiary Institutions
- TVET for Tertiary Institutions Second and Subsequent
- Afya Elimu Fund (AEF) Subsequent Loan Application
- First Time and Subsequent Afya Elimu Fund Pre-Service
- Visa Oshwal Scholarship
HELB application forms for salaried applicants
- Alternative Loans for Undergraduate, Salaried Applicants
- Alternative Loans for Postgraduate, Salaried Applicants
- Postgraduate Scholarship
- Training Revolving Fund (TRF) for Civil Servants
- KRA Staff Loan Application Form
Just click on the needed HELB application name, and you will be redirected to the application form page.
How do you apply for HELB loan? Helb form application process
- Visit the official HELB website – www.helb.co.ke.
- You will also be asked to read all the HELB Financial Literacy literature and finish every point of the registration process.
- Once you have finished the HELB students login process, choose the needed application form and dully fill in all the required fields.
- At this point, you will have to download and print two copies of the filled in application.
- The copies will have to be adequately filled, signed and officially stamped by the relevant authorities and guarantors.
- Put your signature on the application form, and attach all the required documents. You will find the full list of the documents on the last page of the Loan Application Form.
- One copy of your filled correctly in application form with the documents should be sent to one of the following HELB offices – Nairobi,Turkana, Meru, Kitui, Kericho, Nandi [Kapsabet], Thika, Garissa, Migori, Chuka Kakamega, Eldoret, Nakuru, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nyeri, Embu, Machakos, Kisii, Bungoma, and Kitale for free and secure delivery to HELB Head Office. Alternatively, you can drop it at HELB Student Centre on Mezzanine One [M1], Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi.
- The second copy that you printed should be kept safely at home.
To recap, the 2017/2018 HELB application form download first applicant and the 2017/2018HELB subsequent forms download are available only online following completion of the registration process.
Loan Repayment Guide – helb repayments, helb loan status, helb loan statement, helb repayment methods and helb clearance
When do I start repaying my HELB loan?
- Undergraduate Loan repayment normally starts after the applicant finishes the first two terms/semesters.
- HELB postgraduate loans and HELB for resuming students loans are serviced immediately following disbursal.
HELB loan repayment options
A) HELB bank payment
All returns are payable to “Higher Education Loans Board”, by means of a crossed cheque, standing order, EFT Bankers draft, direct transfer, or cash deposit to HELB collecting Account in any of the following listed banks:
- Citibank, Nairobi Account No. 300 040 012
- Co-operative Bank, at University way Account No. 011-296 122 2800,
- Barclays Bank, Barclay’s plaza Account No. 077-501 8216,
- Kenya Commercial Bank, University-way AccountNo. 1103 266 314,
- Standard Chartered Bank, Koinange street Account No. 010 801 826 4700
- Equity Bank Account No. 055-029 357 3408
- National Bank of Kenya Harambee Avenue Account No.010 016 039 1100
B) Payment with HELB mpesa paybill number
To easily repay the helb loan via MPESA, you need to enter HELB business number as 200800 or via Airtel Money, please input nickname as HELB. Your valid national ID number is account number. You will immediately receive confirmation via SMS.
- Select the paybill option
- Input 200800 (the HELB mpesa paybill number)
- Use your national ID number as your account number
- Define the amount you want to repay
- Type in your secret PIN number
- Approve the transaction
The transaction needs 2 business days. The payment will be matched in your helb statement.
C) HELB repayment via ATM (Pesapoint and Equity bank)
D) HELB repayment using Credit or Debit cards
E) Online payments via the HELB payment portal
HELB loan calculator
You can easily calculate your instalments with the aid of a helb loan calculator which can be located on the Higher Education Loans Board Kenya official online website.
HELB loan disbursement status – my Helb Loan Status
In progression to check HELB loan status, you will need to visit the helb student portal. Once you complete the helb portal login, you will be able to get the necessary information.
Enquiries – Helb Enquiries
For any other sort of inquiries, please visit – helb.co.ke/enquiries/. You will be required to fill in all the fields, and give correct information regarding yourself. In the “Your Message” area, type the issue you would like to ask.
The moment your loan is fully repaid, you should get clearance from HELB.
IMPORTANT: Loan payment status can be confirmed by HELB only. Your employer cannot in any way confirm your helb loan status!
Loan repayment authorisation is done through issuance of the HELB clearance certificate. It can be found by filling in the Loan Recovery Enquiry form and e-mailing it to email@example.com (do not ignore to give your ID number).
Important www.helb.co.ke downloads
- HELB corporate handout
- HELB student guide
- HELB employer model
- HELB repayment means
HELB contacts – helb contact numbers, website and email
- HELB Physical Address at: University Way, Anniversary Towers, 18th Floor.
- Postal Address at: P.O. Box 69489 – 00400, NAIROBI, Kenya.
- Telephones: +254 711 052 000; or 020 2278000.
- HELB official website: http://www.helb.co.ke/
- HELB online portal: https://portal.helb.co.ke/
- General helb loan repayment queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remittance (for employers): email@example.com
- Start payment: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helb Statement questions: email@example.com
- Application for helb clearance: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request helb refund: email@example.com
- Alternative helb loans queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
HELB loans Kenya Student FAQ
Qn: How often will HELB send loan statements?
Ans: You can check out your loan statement anytime at helb website www.helb.co.ke
Qn: What repayment options does HELB offer?
Ans: HELB offers to check off the system, credit card, standing order, cash/cheque deposits to HELB Account.
Qn: How is it possible to make repayments from abroad?
Ans: Credit card or Direct Transfer to HELB account number 300 040 012, Citibank Nairobi. Swift code CITIKENA
Qn: What happens if I don’t refund the loan?
Ans: Defaulters will be penalized (min Ksh 5000 for each month)
Qn: Can I repay my loan in instalmentst?
Ans: Yes.HELB will not charge additional fees for early repayment.
Qn: What are ledger fees?
Ans: Ledger fees are imposed to maintain your helb account.
Qn: What happens once I repay my loan in full?
Ans: HELB will issue a clearance certificate.
Qn: How can HELB know my whereabouts?
Ans: You must report your area of residence to HELB within one year of conclusion of your studies or face a penalty.
Qn: What should I do in case of overpayment?
Ans: HELB will return the overpayment.
Qn: How long will it take to get a refund from HELB?
Ans: HELB reserves a maximum of one month to handle your refund request.
Qn: Can interest be discarded for Muslims?
Ans: No. In order to receive a helb loan you must agree to all terms and conditions.
History of HELB in Kenya
Before informing you about the registration process and application forms, let’s discuss a little about the history of HELB in Kenya. HELB or the Higher Education Loans Board is a significant sponsor of deserving Kenyan students and higher education in Kenya. It is an official institution, working under the control of the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology.
HELB was established in 1995 according to the Act of Parliament. The primary goal of the organisation is to provide deserving students, that want to achieve higher education with loans, bursaries and scholarship in different Universities and colleges around the country.
Nevertheless, the history of loans for Kenyans, started long before the foundation of HELB, back to the year1952. The colonial government used to provide loans to successful students under the direction of the Higher Education Loans Fund. The loans were essentially given to study in the foreign Universities, mainly in Great Britain, the United States, former USSR, India and also South Africa.